February 5, 2004 Executive Board Meeting
We had our officers meeting for February this evening at 5:30p. Present were Clark, Robert, and Ariel. Synopsis (in no particular order):
Dues & Voting – were discussed briefly. The consensus was to maintain the firm deadlines for both voting and running for office in February, though it was pushed from the 15th to the 19th. Dues will continue to be accepted until May 1st for this chapter year. Next year, the dues structure will start on a rolling basis – a member’s dues will be good for one full year from when they paid (and not just for that chapter year).
Science/Education/Outreach – brief information was given on the current status of our outreach program as well as a quick primer on the K-12 local chapter program. I’d like everyone’s thoughts about working with EXPLORES! in creating a pilot program for the AMS for this type of local chapter. Chris will be sending out more information shortly on the outreach program.
Future Functions – a clothing drive (for ECHO) was suggested and agreed upon; however, before taking action, we want to make sure there are no dissenting ideas. Upon approval, Robert will make a couple of signs for posting for advertisiting and I’ll ask Phyllis upstairs about keeping a box up there for donations in the main office. A February social (2/27, 7pm) at the Fun Station was also brought up. Robert suggested to Joe to look into renting the place out…something like $10-$15/person for unlimited use…especially if turnout appears high.
Fundraising – information on the funds from the t-shirt sales (profit ~$160) and the funds situation for the banquet was presented. If you’d like a copy of all of the info, Joe will be happy to provide a copy.
Banquet – Thurs., April 15th at 7p at the Silver Slipper; speaker TBA. It was suggested that member tickets be set at $15, despite our funds situation, and non-member tickets be set at $25. This allows us to cover any financial shortfalls as well as maintain reasonable costs. A final decision will be made at a later date; more information on the banquet will also be available at a later date.
Elections – Ariel was briefed on the procedure for elections at the February meeting.
Other – Ariel’s subcommittee will be meeting next week to get things rolling. Robert noted for Joe to look into the gratuity and sales tax at the Silver Slipper for the banquet…apparently it should only be 17% and 6%, respectively, for food service. Joe, Robert can tell you more about that.
TBD – plaques for the local contest.